Stack OverflowWhat do you call the punctuation marks { and }?
[+7] [21] TSomKes
[2009-07-10 14:29:59]
[ terminology ]

What do you call the punctuation marks { and } ?

Braces? Curly brackets? Something else?

(4) I accidentally call them parenthesis all the time. - AlbertoPL
(7) I call them Fredo and Poochie... but that's just me. ;) - Joe Davis
I fail to see how this is programming related. - cletus
(3) You too Joe?! Seriously, what were the chances... - Cory House
(2) Interesting question, what have you been calling them? Sometimes someone who didn't know the "convention" comes up with something clever. I can only imagine that is how * got known as "splat" and ! got known as "bang". - Mike Miller
(7) @cletus - guess you code in VB? - Cory House
(36) The third one is definitely a question mark. - Tester101
Shoot. I guess I'm guilty of "thinking in English" again--my apologies to programmers from other cultures. - TSomKes
I readily agree that this poll was subjective, but I didn't think it would be considered argumentative. If I've ruffled any feathers, that wasn't my intent. (Still learning what is & isn't acceptable practice on SO...) - TSomKes
(2) Voted to reopen for two reasons. 1) I do see this as somewhat programming related, considering that a very large chunk of the programming languages out there use these things in some way or another. 2) Honestly, this is anything but subjective and argumentative—frankly, I think closing this question under that label misses the entire point of what "subjective and argumentative" means. Only potential flame war-inducing questions should be closed as "subjective and argumentative", in my opinion. - htw
[+46] [2009-07-10 14:31:45] Dave Morgan

Curly Braces

(2) This make more sense to me but for some reason I could never get into the habit of calling them braces, I always used curly brackets. - MitMaro
(11) "Curly braces" is redundant :P ("Braces" = "Curly Brackets"). - Yohnny
(1) I like to say "wrap it in curlies". aww, cute! - Johannes Schaub - litb
@Yohnny: I agree that it's redundant, but I can't stop myself from saying "curly braces" and "square brackets", even though "braces" and "brackets" ought to suffice - rmeador
..but "curly braces" sounds soo much cooler then just plain old "braces"... - DeadHead
(1) These are the only kind of braces there are. "Curly Braces" makes no more sense than "irregardless" does. - RBarryYoung
Yeah, I don't get "curly braces." What other kind are there? - Nosredna
@Nosredna: The ones that hold up the oldies trousers? And the ones on your intern's teeth - Marc Gravell
[+40] [2009-07-10 14:32:15] unwind

" Braces [1]".


(5) The definitive answer. I hate it when someone calls parentheses "brackets". - Steve Guidi
(3) @Steve: America doesn't have a monopoly on the English language. Brackets are parentheses in British English. - LukeH
(1) Agreed with 'braces', with the slight addition of specifying opening brace and closing brace (rather than perhaps left brace and right brace): this is also the canonical answer in the list in the (Coding Horror ASCII Pronunciation Rules for Programmers) - mas
@Luke: Thanks for pointing that out for us Brits. I would have been obliged to do so anyway! - Noldorin
[+17] [2009-07-10 14:32:38] Richard Dunlap

"Braces" -- to me, "brackets" refers to [ and ].

[+8] [2009-07-10 14:30:06] TSomKes

"Curly brackets"

[+8] [2009-07-10 14:37:28] geowa4


(1) +1 - exactly what I was going to say: "Public int main bracket int arg-see comma char star star arg-vee bracket open squiggly". Note also the use of the one true squig^H^H^H^H^Hbrace style ;-} - ConcernedOfTunbridgeWells
[+6] [2009-07-10 15:04:02] ufukgun
* round brackets, open brackets, or parentheses:  ( )
* square brackets, closed brackets, or box brackets:  [ ]
* curly brackets or braces:  { }
* angle brackets, diamond brackets, cone brackets, or chevrons:  < > or ⟨ ⟩



[+5] [2009-07-10 14:43:03] Martin Liversage

In Denmark we often call them "Tuborg parenthesis" refering to the shape of the red and white sunshade [1] used by the Danish beer brand Tuborg. There is more information on Wikipedia in Danish [2] and in English [3].


[+4] [2009-07-10 14:31:19] TSomKes

I don't know, so I try to avoid calling them anything. I write or type them when possible.

(2) Why do I like this answer so much... Probably because I have those situations where someone asks why I use those "euh... things, you know... zigzaggy thing... wobbly parentheses", I "curly braces?", "what?", "This?" I type {}. He/she shouts... "yeah, that thing..." - Dykam
[+4] [2009-07-10 14:37:51] Roger Lipscombe

I name them as follows:

  • (brackets)
  • {curly brackets} or sometimes {braces} or even {curly braces}
  • [square brackets]

US English seems to have:

  • (parentheses)
  • [brackets]
  • {braces}

(2) Everything is a bracket to you. :) - Mike Miller
[+2] [2009-07-10 14:43:57] wweicker

In my books (I am from Canada) these are:

() = Parentheses
[] = Brackets
{} = Braces

Until recently when I was typing on a european keyboard I thought these were standard symbols and everyone called them the same, but now I realize different cultures call them different things, and some keyboards don't even have these on them!

[+2] [2009-07-10 15:04:16] Humberto

{} - chaves [] - colchetes () - parênteses

in Portuguese, of course.

[+1] [2009-07-10 14:33:49] Andy_Vulhop

Curly braces. [ and ] are brackets or square brackets

[+1] [2009-07-10 14:34:52] Eric

I call them braces. On many SLR cameras they use this '[]' symbol for the bracketing feature and I've always known '[' and ']' as brackets myself.

[+1] [2009-07-10 14:41:24] Rhythmic Fistman

Nothing, they're not available on Italian keyboards.

And yet Italian C-programmers exist. They use trigraphs.

[+1] [2009-07-10 14:42:58] Rob Kennedy

I call those braces, and I call [ and ] brackets. I consider the terms curly braces and square brackets redundant, but sometimes the redundancy helps avoid confusion, in part because brace and bracket are similar words, easily confused, and in part because some people use braces or brackets to mean parentheses.

[+1] [2009-07-10 14:43:21] Samuel Carrijo

In Portuguese, "chaves"

[+1] [2009-07-10 14:59:33] H_I

In French, "accolades".

In germany i call them "geschweifte klammer". But not sure whether anyone wants to know? - Johannes Schaub - litb
I put it anyway, since "accolade" is an English word too. - H_I
In Dutch, it's also accolade, probably French borrowword. - Marco van de Voort
(1) {kapcsos zárójel}, [szögletes zárójel], (zárójel) - in Hungarian. Zárójel means: closing mark. Yes, the opening brackets are closing, too. { - kapcsos zárójel nyitva: closing mark opened, } - kapcsos zárójel zárva: closing mark closed. :) - Vili
[0] [2009-07-10 14:30:41] TSomKes


[0] [2009-07-10 14:34:41] David Thornley

Most of what I've seen is a combination of either "curly" or "brace". So, it might be called a "curly" or "curly bracket" or "brace" or something like that. Personally, I call them "braces".

[0] [2009-07-10 15:02:20] StuperUser

No-one's stated < >

Which I call "inequalities" (if used singularly) or "chevrons" (if used as parentheses).

To me {} are curly braces.

(4) I would call those angle brackets. - Alex Peck
{} = braces [] = brackets <> = angle brackets - muusbolla
[0] [2009-09-18 05:58:04] Marc Bollinger

Begin problem code and End problem code (respectively).